United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Livelihoods Officer
Position Number: 10028868
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration of Contract: One Year
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Context, Duties and Responsibilities
- The Assistant Livelihood Officer reports to the Senior Programme Officer and s/he will work closely with protection and supply units for the enhancement of the protection responses to persons integrated in the livelihood programmes
- S/he will be the interface between UNHCR and livelihood partners implementing and consolidating Livelihoods Strategy that positively contributes to the creation of conditions for an effective self-reliance of the crisis-affected populations in the IDP purview of Nigeria
- Considering the importance the livelihood programme in the enhancement of the protection response and durable solutions, the incumbent will be instrumental in the design of the livelihood roadmap and in the exploration of new livelihoods opportunities
- S/he should be proactive, always looking for new opportunities, having economic and social sensibility; convincing donors and partners for mobilization of funds and establishment of impactful partnerships that will benefit to persons in need
- The incumbent will assist in the development of the local livelihoods strategies and social infrastructure to develop and sustain the Livelihoods of POCs.
- For coordination/continuity/reintegration purposes, s/he should liaise with existing livelihood programs in North-eastern Nigeria.
- A percentage of the refugee population and host communities are supported to be self-reliant.
- Comprehensive livelihoods needs assessment reports are produced.
- Age, Gender and Diversity approach and community-based and participatory principles are used toassess needs and plan.
- Economic Inclusion and Livelihoods interventions are technically guided producing required impact.
- Economic Inclusion and Livelihoods partners are well-coordinated and more partners brought on board.
- Economic Inclusion and Livelihoods interventions are well monitored and required reports produced on timely basis.
- Settlement and Urban -level economic Inclusion strategies are developed and implemented.
- Network of partners with UN agencies and relevant private sectors are developed, strengthened and optimized in the Economic Inclusion cooperation and support.
- Relevant linkages are developed with the private sector to promote innovation/synergies.
- Ensure the operation is within the 2019-2023 UNHCR Global Agenda for Economic Inclusion.
- Support the development and implementation of the country-specific Economic Inclusion Strategy, and advising on the design and implementation of livelihoods and economic inclusion programmes.
- Coordinate with respective stakeholders the approach for livelihoods programming that is specifically targeting refugees.
- Support the development and implementation, together with Protection and External Relations Sections, of a practical and realistic advocacy strategy on refugee livelihoods opportunities and rights.
- Explore partnerships with NGOs, Government, training institutions, employment services centres, UN agencies, and private sector.
- Work closely with and provide technical assistance to UNHCR partners implementing livelihoods programmes.
- Conduct, facilitate and support wealth ranking surveys for refugee population.
- Advocate with public and private services providers operating in the country to provide services to UNHCR persons of concerns i.e. business development services, micro-finance institutions, training institutes, banks, business incubators, poverty alleviation programmes etc.
- Support the regular sharing of livelihoods related information among different humanitarian, developmental and governmental stakeholders.
- Strengthen, guide and monitor the different livelihoods interventions under the UNHCR programme and ensure compliance with UNHCR Minimum Criteria for Livelihoods programming.
- Utilize efficient targeting techniques to graduate vulnerable refugees out of poverty.
- Design and implement, in cooperation with national government, implementing partners, and UNHCR representation office, a custom-made annual operation plan within the framework of the approved livelihoods strategy.
- Build a strong relationship with the relevant government stakeholders to enhance their ownership of the livelihoods programme initiated by UNHCR.
- Maintain close contacts with partners both in public, private and NGO sectors in order to harmonize activities relating to promotion of livelihoods activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Represent UNHCR at the appropriate level in consultations with the government offices and partners concerning the inclusion of livelihoods and local integration of refugees into their recovery and development policies and plans.
- Decide which issues identified through monitoring and consultations with refugee and partners to be raised with senior management.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- University Degree in Development Studies (in either Development Economics, Finance Entrepreneurship, Agriculture Innovation or Management) Business Development and Management.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience with proven technical competencies in sub-sectors relevant to livelihoods programming e.g. microfinance, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training, etc.
- Experience in working effectively with private sector, international and national NGOs and UN organisations, and with government authorities at state and local level.
- Proficiency in computer software such as excel, word, PowerPoint.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Postgraduate specialization in Sustainable Livelihoods
- Proven experience working in an UN inter-agency context, development/multilateral organization, rural development agencies/enterprise and in nurturing partnership.
- Knowledge of donors and resource mobilization.
- Experience working with farmers associations and SACCOs.
- Experience working with district authorities on planning livelihood projects.
- Knowledge of the UN system.
Closing Date: Midnight, 15th July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online