The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of ECOWAS that operates in the general interest of the regional power network system in order to ensure a reliable power supply throughout the region (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo). Today, WAPP comprises thirty-five (35) electricity companies that are public and private power generation, transmission, distribution and commercialisation entities involved in the operation of the power network system in West Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Civil Engineer
Location: PMU Head Office, Abuja, Nigeria
Project Name: WAPP North Core/Projet Dorsale Nord Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Project Management Unit (PMU) of the North Core Project
Reports to: Senior Technical Project Coordinator
Appointment: Full time, approximately 36 months
Language required: Proficiency in English and/or French with a good knowledge of the second language
- Within the framework of the West African Power Pool (WAPP), the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project. The project involves the construction of approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission lines from Nigeria to Burkina Faso, through Niger, and Benin. The project will also involve the electrification of rural communities located within a 5 km radius on both sides of the line, and the implementation of several environmental and social mitigation measures. These include, among others, the implementation of Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) to provide for persons and communities affected by project implementation activities.
- The project is being financed by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU) and the World Bank (WB).
- Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to enhance its coordination, Energy Ministers of the North Core countries agreed to put in place an institutional framework which includes the establishment of a Project Management Unit (PMU) to, among others, assist in the preparation and physical implementation of the North Core project. The supervision of works will be done by an Owner’s Engineer on behalf of the PMU. The PMU, based in Abuja (Nigeria), will also have local offices in the countries.
- Under the direct supervision of the PMU Senior Technical Coordinator, the Civil Engineer’s mandate will be to work closely with the Owner’s Engineer and local PMUs to monitor and ensure the effective execution of works for the construction of high voltage Lines and Substations included in the project.
- His/Her tasks will be done in accordance with contracts signed with construction companies based on international and donors’ standards namely the World Bank, AfDB, AFD and EU.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Civil Engineer will assist the Senior Technical Coordinator to monitor the engineering, plans, schedules and reporting on progress of civil works of transmission lines and substations.
Specific tasks include:
- Review and validate the design including geotechnical investigations results for soil classification, technical specifications, and drawings submitted by Contractors;
- Supervise the implementation of construction work to conform with contract specifications and respect of the project timeline;
- Monitor the implementation of the Quality Management Plan set up by Contractors;
- Monitor safety arrangements during the works (e.g. Contractors provision and use of personal protective equipment etc.);
- Monitor the implementation of the project schedule to conform with the project timeline;
- Prepare and follow up on correspondences between the OE, Contractors, PMU and the other stakeholders;
- Review the reporting from Contractors and OE;
- Collect all relevant information on the construction, anticipate and identify problems and risks arising and recommend necessary actions to the PMU to ensure sound implementation of the project;
- Assess and advise on all proposed technical variations; report on justification or otherwise of claims;
- Provide support and advice to the PMU on construction management, project implementation and interfacing issues;
- Inspect the quality and quantity of materials involved in civil works;
- Execute other tasks as identified and assigned by the Senior Technical Coordinator.
Qualification and Experience
The Civil Engineer must have the following:
- Degree in Civil Engineering;
- At least five (5) years’ experience in design and construction of civil works and structures;
- Experience in high voltage substations construction or transmission lines will be an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of civil works design and calculations (Concrete, Metal structures);
- Competent use of CAD software such as AutoCAD, Robot, etc;
- Strong knowledge in MS office suite (MS Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), ability to use internet;
- Familiarity with and experience in working with various types of engineering materials.
Desirable Qualities, Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a team and under pressure;
- Excellent planning and project management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.
- It is required that the Civil Engineer is proficient in English or/and French (Read, write, speak) with a good knowledge of the other language.
- The Civil Engineer will be under the obligation to produce progress reports on implementation of works weekly and progress rate for foundations, as well as monthly and quarterly reports on the project. These reports shall comprise information including, but not limited to, Progress, Schedule Updates, Quality, Safety, Environment and identification of Project Risks. These reports will be validated by the Senior Technical Coordinator and approved by the PMU Director.
- The performance of the Civil Engineer will be evaluated annually by the Senior Technical Coordinator and approved by the PMU Director. Key performance indicators derived from the duties and responsibilities above and agreed upon between the jobholder and the Senior Technical Coordinator, would be used as the basis for measuring the performance of the jobholder
- This position is on a full time basis envisaged for a duration of approximately 36 months with a six (6) month probation period. Successful candidates will be stationed at the PMU Head Office in Abuja, Nigeria.
- A key requirement for this position may be/is fluency in French and/or English with a good working knowledge of the second language and ability to use relevant computer software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as the internet.
- Interested applicants are strongly advised to refer to the Terms of Reference (ToR) for the advertised position prior to sending their applications.
Closing Date: 18h00 GMT Friday, 15th May 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Before applying, candidates should Download and fill the Application Form Above which should be uploaded when completing the online application