The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Computer Management Assistant
Announcement Number: Abuja-2020-026
Job Location: Abuja
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: LE – 1805 8
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type: Permanent
Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to the successful completion of the probationary period
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-8
- The incumbent is responsible for managing Post SharePoint sites to include design, configuration and implementation of all web parts and sites by ensuring that the SharePoint is accurately in operation to meet Post needs.
- S/he also manages all areas of the unclassified local area network to include, application of security fixes, installation and configuration of switches, routers and software upgrades.
- Incumbent trains users on Microsoft applications and other departments of state applications; assists to ensure that the Information Technology (IT) inventory is accurately maintained by recording dispatched equipment and properly disposing of old equipment; performs routine maintenance on servers to include backups, testing and restoration of files and folders, as well as assist with active directory account and user management. The position reports directly to the Senior Computer Management Specialist.
- Minimum of 3 years progressively responsible work in the computer field, to include hardware, software, SharePoint and database management with an emphasis on Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office packages, Microsoft SharePoint and training is required.
- Advanced level knowledge of SharePoint, software, computer equipment operations and management, local and wide area network operations, familiar with hardware and software acquisition procedures, computer troubleshooting and repairs is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Programming, Information Security, Mathematics or Computer/Security Engineering is required.
- This may be tested.
- Fluent in the English Language.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interface with personnel within the mission and with help-desk personnel in Washington; ability to quickly adapt to new technology and assist with network planning and ability to interact in a professional manner with embassy and Washington is required.
- Proficiency with Keyboard/Typing skills are required for computer software installation and troubleshooting, as well as for reports and communicating with customers and colleagues. Incumbent must be able to lift up to 10kg.
- S/he must have the ability to configure switches, routers and firewall.
- This will ensure port security is utilized, and that the firewall needed for the configuration of the Dedicated internet Network (DIN) has the appropriate parameters in place for the network protection and security.
System Maintenance Skills:
- The incumbent must be able to open up a workstation, and identify faulty parts and must have the knowledge to make relevant changes to include replacing or adding more memory to the Workstation or replacing the hard drive so that the workstation can function faster and process information better and quicker.
- The incumbent must have a good background in the SharePoint application platform.
- He/She should have a vast knowledge of Web Part creation, design, creation of modules, as well as interactive processing applications using SharePoint.
- This is required to process data as well as create advanced schedules that make use of list (calculated list with formulas and columns), calendars and Microsoft Power BI (which is used to represent data analysis and graphical presentation).
Help-desk Support skills:
- The position must have the ability to communicate with the customers over the phone to solve 1st line support issues by having the ability to explain step by step what the user is required to do to fix the computer problem in a friendly and very explicit manner.
- In addition, the position must have the ability and knowledge to resolve 2nd line support issues by going over to the user and based on advance knowledge will be able to fix these problems faster and in a professional way.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights.
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honourable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees (PDF) before you apply.
N8,569,748 / USD $42,149 per annum.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position, click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply to visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- High School Diploma
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
Method of Application
Closing Date: 23rd June, 2020