Propcom Mai-karfi, a six-year project working to improve the livelihoods of Nigeria’s rural poor through targeted market initiatives, is seeking a high-performing, results-oriented professional to serve as Gender and Women’s Economic Empowerment Manager.
Propcom Mai-karfi aims to increase incomes for 500.000 poor Nigerians, including 50% women, by enhancing employment opportunities and improving productivity in selected agricultural and other rural markets in northern Nigeria. Propcom Mai-karfi, which runs through December 2017, is managed by GRM International, in partnership with Technoserve, for the UK Department for International Development. Gender and Women’s Economic Empowerment Manager The Gender and Women’s Economic Empowerment Manager will lead the integration of gender and economic empowerment for women across the Propcom Mai-karfi programme. This will include the development and implementation of the Propcom Mai-karfi’s gender and Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) strategy and framework within all its market section interventions ensuring constant identification of gender and WEE implications and issues as well as the use of best practice within markets. Responsibilities will include:
- Driving the development and implementation of the programme’s gender strategy
- Leading the integration of appropriate and sustainable gender and WEE practices within the Propcom Mai-karfi programme’s overall approach -including through gender sensitive market diagnosis, interventions and monitoring systems
- Setting standards for Propcom Mai-karfi’s gender practice and providing guidance to the Intervention Managers and Market systems in general on how to meet them and how to measure them
- Representing Propcom Mai-karfi’s gender-related work to external audiences, such as DFID and the wider M4P and WEE communities
- Networking with government and non-government organisations in Nigeria to learn and exchange information about women’s economic empowerment and to coordinate with other important activities
- Working with the project communications staff to develop materials that promote Propcom Mai-karfi’s gender-related interventions and that disseminate its learning
Required Skills & Experience
- An advanced degree (Masters of Doctoral) in the field of social sciences, business, gender, agricultural sciences, food security or related field of study or an equivalent combination of studies and experience
- 5-7 years’ experience in economic market development, private sector and management in sub Saharan Africa, with M4P project implementation and management and advantage.
- Demonstrated experience with gender integration/mainstreaming in agriculture/market development projects (preferred) or across a variety of sectors – gender mainstreaming at a relatively senior level within an institutional context is preferred and experience of programming for women’s participation and empowerment.
- Experience working directly with women and women’s groups in northern Nigeria is preferred – experience with promoting the inclusion of women and working with or developing women managed or owned businesses within the private sector in Northern Nigeria would be advantageous.
- Detailed and non-stereotypical understanding of the culture and practices within northern Nigeria with emphasis on the gender dynamics is essential
- Ability to communicate in and understand Hausa is an advantage
In return we offer:
- A friendly and team-based working environment in Abuja
- Opportunity to collaborate with national and international colleagues
- Opportunity to make a vital contribution to an innovative Nigerian development programme
- A competitive salary with benefits
The post is domiciled in Abuja, however the incumbent will be required to make frequent travels within Nigeria and particularly to the Northern part of Nigeria.
Method of Application
Applications are encouraged from all those who can dearly demonstrate sound evidence of success to improving institutional arrangements for the benefit of poor people, specifically for women and has substantive knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment and a passion for development in Nigeria. Please send your CV (maximum of three pages), full details of two referees, salary history and a 1 page covering letter outlining how your skills and competencies match the requirements of this post to: email@example.com.
Full details of the post can be found on our website: www.propcommaikarfi.org,
Closing Date: 17/04/2015