Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social Protection Assistant
Location: Potiskum, Yobe State
Starting date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Social Protection officer
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Perform social protection strengthening activities at the community level:
- Facilitate community mobilization towards social protection.
- Organize meetings at LGA and Ward levels for the beneficiaries and the program personnel.
- Facilitate training on social protection and safety nets interventions in collaboration with the community;
- Work with traditional plus other community leaders to ensure the identification and selection of the most vulnerable households in the target wards/ communities for social protection and safety nets at ward and LGA level.
- Provide information to ensure accountability, fairness, and transparency during the implementation of activities.
- Support in the implementation of social protection and safety nets plan by the target beneficiaries at the LGA level.
- Directly implement in the field the activities defined in the program in close collaboration with the social protection officer Officer.
- Implement a detailed work plan for the social protection and safety net team at LGA level in collaboration with economic empowerment Officer.
Objective 2 – Collect information and data on social protection and safety nets at LGA level through surveys, assessments and regular post distribution monitoring of beneficiary households:
- Collect information to ensure that the surveillance of the social protection and safety nets activity situation in the area of implementation of the program is achieving the expected result when required.
- Collect the required information in the field to facilitate the capacity building and training program, with the support of the social protection and safety nets and economic empowerment Officers.
- Support the M&E team in the analysis of beneficiary data collection through the various tools that the department uses.
- Participate in the registration and grant support activities.
- Support the preparation of documentation required for the implementation of income-generating activities on the field.
Objective 3 – Mobilization and awareness-raising about the organization, program objectives, and activities to local authorities and the population, and act as a link between the Organization and the beneficiaries:
- Contribute to the development of project community mobilization strategies for targeting and registration of beneficiaries for the activities interventions.
- Implement sensitization activities for targeted communities about social protection and safety nets activities with support from relevant Yobe State ministries and agents, Extension workers, Community Volunteers, traditional leaders and other key stakeholders in feasible economic empowerment activities at LGA level.
- Support in the verification of the beneficiaries to ensure the identification and selection of the most vulnerable population is verified before grant support is made.
- Support the economic empowerment Officer in ensuring that targeting of beneficiaries to receive support is carried out in a transparent way and with the active participation of women and minority members of communities.
- Facilitate the good working relationship between government staff and target beneficiaries.
- Support the social protection and safety nets initiatives to ensure that beneficiaries’ access to the service provider guarantees protection and gender sensitivity in the field.
- Degree in Political Science, Economics or Sociology
Skills and Experience
- Professional, good organizational capacity and ability to be adaptable.
- At least 1-year experience in a similar position.
- Experience in the Cash, IGA, FSL and extension approach
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Commitment to upholding Action Against Hunger’s values, excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible.
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in Hausa and English
- Commitment to Action Against Hunger mission, values, and policy
- Previous experience with Social Protection and Food security & livelihoods programming
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Previous experience with Action Against Hunger
- Previous humanitarian programming experience
Minimum Basic Salary
NGN156,995 per Month
Closing Date: Tuesday, 21st April, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Qualified women are encouraged to apply.