- 3,000,000.00 Naira per annum
Location: Cross River State, Nigeria
The Health and Safety Officer is responsible for providing a Health and Safety service for the
Institute including vetting the suitability of student placements, employers’ assessments and
accident investigation in order to enable the ITM to meet its broad business objectives. Team
working and communications within an overall approach that values people will be of key
ITM has been established by the Cross River State Government (CRSG) of Nigeria in partnership
with Highbury College Portsmouth, UK as part of a unique, transformational state wide Technical
and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Ecosystem project. CRSG has appointed Highbury
to manage ITM to world-class standards.
The vision is to develop a world-class entrepreneurial polytechnic institute, the first of its kind in
Nigeria. The Institute will have student success as its central mission and will focus on wealth
creation, business formation/growth and employment outcomes to meet the needs of students
and the local communities of Cross River State, Nigeria and beyond.
- Ensure that all work undertaken is carried out in accordance with ITM Health and Safety
- Carry out initial and subsequent regular Health and Safety assessments of employers to ensure
suitability of student placements and to maintain and update appropriate records (placement
- Conduct and review general risk assessments for ITM activities held at other premises within the
- Exchange and implement all Safety, Health and Welfare requirements agreed between the ITM
and other training organisations engaged in Student Placements.
- Investigate accidents, work place related diseases or occurrences involving students
undertaking work experience at employers premises.
- Oversee arrangements for statutory examinations of ITM equipment including portable
electrical appliance testing, pressurised systems and local extraction venti
- Good standard of education including GCSE in Maths/English (Grades A* to C).
- National Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health or equivalent.
- Evidence of commitment to self-development.
- Member of the Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH).
- Experience of working in a similar role.
- Excellent understanding of Health and Safety.
- Ability to work well in teams but also to work independently with the minimum of supervision.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritise workload.
- Very good IT skills including a good working knowledge of the following Microsoft applications;
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Understanding of safeguarding in the context of education.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Professional approach to work and appearance.
- Enthusiasm and optimism.
- Commitment to excellence.
- Flexible attitude in the way he/she performs the job.
- Commitment to operating in a harmonious, safe and secure environment.
- A commitment to equality of opportunity and widening access to education for all.
Method of Application
To apply in the first instance please Send yourc.vto: email@example.com
The Institute reserves the right to modify the deadline date.
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date: 20/02/2015