Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Location: Gwoza LGA, Borno
Report to: Project Medical Referent
Report to (functional): Project Medical Referent
Area: Medical and Paramedical
No of Places: 01
Contract Duration: 6 months
- Define, Plan, implement and follow up all laboratory activities in the project area, according to MSF protocols;
- Ensure the proper implementation of protocols, safety measures, hygiene standards, the quality of the laboratory work, and manage staff involved in laboratory activities in order to support the MSF medical team in the diagnosis of patients’ diseases.
- Participating in the project planning and follow-up and reviewing the laboratory budget when necessary in order to support MSF’s medical activities.
- Ensuring the compliance of MSF hygiene and safety protocols, both individually and collectively as well as informing staff of existing biological risks.
- Performing laboratory tests and carrying out sample collection (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology …) in accordance with prescriptions as well as ensuring that quality control tests are carried out regularly. Informing the doctor of the results of the tests and keeping a record of the analysis with data from patients.
- Ensuring proper management (cleaning, maintenance, arranging) of all laboratory equipment and the adequate supply of needed equipment and material in order to prevent stock-outs. This includes being responsible for all required automatic instrument calibration, ensuring that no material is taken out of laboratories without prior authorization and carrying out a proper storage system and conditions, inventory, etc. In cooperation with logistics department, ensuring that cold chain is properly maintained in Laboratory areas for both, samples and reagents.
- In the absence of a Laboratory Manager, ensuring proper registration and needs of all lab-related activities and implementing a correct use of the associated management tool (EpyTryp. Etc.) in order to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Producing regular reports on the testing and on any issues / problems related to laboratory personnel and / or the material used.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Capacity building of laboratory staff: On the job coaching and formal trainings for laboratory technicians and laboratory assistants.
- Ensure proper packaging, labelling and documentation for samples sent out of the projects to the referral laboratories in Maiduguri including follow up for UNHAS booking for the samples.
- Liaising with the project medical referent and the district surveillance and notification officer whenever samples collection of diseases with outbreak potential is needed.
- Analyze and report on lab activities and results to the medical staff and the immediate supervisor providing data on complications, the total number and types of tests and in general any problem with the staff and / or laboratory material. Also participates in the development of epidemiological reports relating to MSF health services and contributes to the monthly medical report (sitrep).
- Essential degree as Laboratory Technician
- Essential 2 years experience in a laboratory, preferably as a Lab Tech.
- Desirable in MSF or another NGO, desirable in a clinical laboratory
- Essential – English and Hausa Desirable – Kanuri and Mandra
- Essential – computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Results, Teamwork, Flexibility, Commitment, Stress management
NGN 4,344,067 (Annual salary + 13th month) As per the MSF rate scale (National contract)
Closing Date: 19th March, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, Motivation Letter, copies of Credentials, copy of Practicing License and copy of NYSC Certificate (only PDF or Word) either by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (in the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying).
Submit in person to:
MSF SPAIN Office in Gwoza,
Gwoza LGA Borno State.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials. MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.