Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
- Contribute to increase MSF capacity to react timely to emergencies (disease outbreak, natural disaster and violence) in Nigeria, especially in the identify states
- To achieve these objectives implement an internal monitoring/surveillance system, active networking at both federal and state levels with various actors (government, NGO, community etc)
- Timely propose appropriate action plan for the emergency and formulate an implementation strategy
- Provide medical support to the other MSF project in Nigeria
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions. Provide best possible care before, during and after surgery in the OT in accordance with MSF protocols;
Follow up of MSF emergencies activity (Disease surveillance, outbreak investigation and data collection) and the definition of objectives:
- Collaborate in the development of a contact network with the State epidemiologists and DSNO at State level of epidemiology surveillance, others agencies involved in the surveillance (WHO/UNICEF….) or emergency preparedness and local communities; and on need basis with the FMOH
- On continuous basis, do web-based updates and further research on the national politics and policy of surveillance and management of epidemics (meetings, reports, article)
- Collect and compile epidemiological data (meetings, reports, articles), analyse and realize monthly, quarter and annual report proposed to Emergency team Coordinator:
- Organize and analyze the epidemiology data, medical emergency reports and medical assessment.
- Ensure a qualitative and comprehensive data and report archiving process
- Implementing an internal surveillance system for Northern States of the country prone to seasonal epidemics, which includes collection of second-hand information -through formal and informal networking- and, when possible collection of first-hand information -field evaluation- so as to complement, verify or assess health situation
- Following up on main indicators collected and making proposal accordingly
- Perform regular monthly field visits to achieve the above objectives in collaboration with the coordination team and submit proposal to coordination team
Man-made and natural disaster ; response to violence; floods
- Participate in creation and/or update of a comprehensive health structure mapping on each structure level
- on continuous basis do web-based updates and further research on the national politics and policy of surveillance and management of epidemics (meetings, reports, article)
- Carry out exploratory missions to achieve the above objectives in collaboration with the coordination team and submit proposal to coordination team
Response proposal and activity implementation
- Based on the results of the investigations, propose an appropriate medical response to the Emergency team Coordinator/medical coordinator
- Eventually be involved in the implementation of the response and the direct clinical management of patient
Support to other MSF Activities in Nigeria
- More generally, the Emergency team doctor, can be involved in other tasks including:
Support to the projects:
- Carrying out some medical activities and maintaining links with the fields and desk/technical department
- Replace members of the field team if needed
- Work in other MSF program in order to cumulate experience.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols
Pharmacy management: In collaboration with the country pharmacist
- Participate in stock inventory process
- Prepare the medical boxes for the exploratory mission; Anticipate and report needs to the Coordinator
- Get proficient with cold-chain management as per MSF standards; Responsible for cold-chain management on the field
Responsible for collecting and filing consumption and donation forms on the field
Requires Skills and Conditions
• Medical Doctor Degree. Diploma in Tropical Medicine is a plus
• NYSC Certificate or Discharge certificate.
• 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health , general practice, general medicine or minor surgery
• Mission language essential. Hausa language desirable.
• Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
Abuja with 80% of working time on the field.
Unlimited contract duration starting as soon as possible.Flexibility required
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of nursing qualifications and a cover letter with contact details to the MSF Administration Office in Abuja at No 26 Olu Agabi Close Life Camp. Gwarimpa District. (“Application Box” at the Watchmen Desk). With reference ( EPREP DOCTOR )
Applications can be submitted in person or by email to: email@example.com
NB: only successful applicants will be called for interview.
Notice: No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process. MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.
Closing Date: 13th January, 2016