Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife
Location: Shinkafi, Zamfara
Report to: Project Medical Referent
Report to (functional): Medical Activity Manager
Working Hours: 48 Hours per Week
Contract Duration: 6 months
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardized protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counseling, test and post counseling.
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse in the management of Sexual Violence cases.
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected.
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols, as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc.
- Participating in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor. Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently.
- Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the newborn, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions
- Supervises the use of drugs, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point. 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocic, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and newborn care including neonatal resuscitation. 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight newborns.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Running SRH awareness program in the community.
- Training of MOH midwives on SRH related clinical management, counselling, and guiding principles.
- Responsible for confidential record keeping of cases (registration book, using codes, data collection, and analysis).
- Flexibility to perform any other work related to her/his position if requested by the line manager.
- Education: Essential midwifery qualification or specialization. Desired Bachelor in Midwifery.
- Experience: Essential working experience of at least two years in midwife activities related jobs. For OCBA, this is desirable.
- Languages: English and Hausa.
- Competencies: Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioral and Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles, Stress Management.
NGN 3, 949, 153 (Annual basic Salary +13th month) as per the MSF salary scale (national contract).
Closing Date: 16th March, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter, Copy of Nursing and Midwifery License, copies of Credentials and copy of the NYSC Certificate (only PDF or Word) by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (in the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying).
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non- returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.