World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: National Consultant – Support Situation Analysis of the National Health Research System
Ref Id: 1905058
Primary Location: Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract duration: 30 days
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
- The Federal Ministry of Health Research and Knowledge Management Division has commenced the process of developing a National Research for Health Strategic Plan (NR4HSP) to be implemented between 2020 and 2025.
- This assignment will focus on phase one of the research strengthening processes. The main purpose of this phase of support is assessment of the Nigeria’s health research system. The findings from the assessment will guide prioritization of research for health system strengthening interventions and framework of the National Health Research Strategy
- The objective of the assignment is to conduct a baseline assessment of the national health research system to provide information for the development of the National Research for Health Strategic Plan.
- Lead the overall development of the framework of the National Strategic Plan for Health Research (NSPHR), including: Situational analysis of the health research system and Identification of national priorities and interventions to address them
- Provide support for any stakeholder engagement(s) that may be required in the process towards data collection and information generation: TWG meetings, KII &/or FGD, Consultative/consensus meetings/workshops.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- Essential: University degree in Health Systems Development, Health Policy, Health Informatics, Health Economics, International Health, or any related discipline.
- Desirable: Advanced University degree in Health Systems development, Health Policy, Health Informatics, Health Economics, International health, or any related discipline.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the health sector in a government or non-governmental international organization with evidence of support in developing Health-biased strategic Plans.
- 10 or more years’ experience working in the health sector in a government or non-governmental international organization with evidence of support in developing Health-biased strategic Plans
- Performance of similar assignment with UN/WHO will be an advantage.
Functional Skills and Knowledge Required:
- A proven record of health systems strengthening work; an understanding of Nigeria’s Health System is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound methodological and technical advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated ability to analyze political context and interact and negotiate effectively with multiple interests as well as familiarity with working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the National Counterparts-Federal and State Ministry of Health including Department of Planning Research and Statistics
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, integrate, synergize and communicate complex ideas in English, verbally and in writing
- Ability to monitor and communicate progress in terms of process and results
- Knowledge of the health system situation and stakeholders in Nigeria
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel, Power Point; any one computerized accounting package is highly desirable.
- Membership of a reputable research organization.
Closing Date: 11:59:00 PM; 13th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.