World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: National Data Manager
Job ID: 1806492
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration: 12 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
- Following the national immunization coverage survey, the country immunization coverage was found to be low. This will lead to potential outbreaks of vaccine preventable diseases. Cognizant of this an emergency approach to rectify major hurdles in the program has been discussed at the national level with all immunization partners led by government.
- The objective of the post is to provide technical support on data management to the national coordination center on routine immunization.
The incumbent will be responsible in:
- Ensuring availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the immunization program
- Monitor achievement of recommended immunization performance indicators
- Provide evidences through the triangulation of different data available and guide the program;
- Build capacity of government staff in data management, through formal and on-job training;
- To support the data management activities with technological innovations such as mobile based data collection and real time data visualization
Description of Duties
- Under the overall guidance of the WHO country office representative and over all supervision of IVE focal point and guidance of the M&E Coordinator, the monitoring and evaluation officer will carry out the following specific task:
- Support the development and implementation of Data Quality Improvement Plans (DQIP) in collaboration with MoH and partners’ agencies.
- Collaborate with appropriate partner teams, Ministries of Health (MoH), to establish the data management and reporting systems required to support the implementation of Routine immunization Program.
- Represent WHO as needed in meetings and conferences where data are presented or discussed.
- Ensure appropriate interactions with counterparts in Ministries of Health, national, partners and others to enable the sharing and processing of data to meet the needs of national and program-wide data review committees.
- Support the design and implementation of mobile-based/ODK data collection as well as data use for action as per the programmatic need of government, partners, and within WHO
- Develop data systems and related standard operating procedures and support in-country partners (MoH and partners) to enable data to flow as needed.
- Develop and implement approaches to clean data, using completeness, internal consistency and logic checks; automate the generation of data quality reports; ensure systematic follow-up of data irregularities.
- Verify data quality (completeness, timeliness), identify gaps in health information management, recommend and monitor progress with corrective actions.
- Provide technical input and technical review of data management plans from partners.
- Collect, collate, manage, summarize, analyze and present Administrative and monitoring data (including RI/LQAS, and DHIS2) from all partners; transform data into narrative text, tables, maps and graphics to enable review by partners and relevant stakeholders, to inform their recommendations for strategic planning and decision-making.
- Supporting the MoH/NERICC in the development of national capacities on analysis, monitoring and evaluation, including interpretation of evidence, to improve policy analysis, evidence-informed policy formulation and strategic planning on Routine Immunization.
- Develop and provide capacity building and training to colleagues within WHO, and to partners, including Ministries of Health, with focus on enhancing data management and GIS.
- In collaboration with government and partners, participate in the preparation of the annual program of work, budget and evaluation reports of the HSS, including the participation in resource mobilization activities.
- Support the development and deployment of Web-based data collection tools; including forms coding and programming to support the development and implementation of mobile data collection system with GIS support.
- Support and participate in field activities designed by the MoH and partners to optimized routine immunization activities.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative.
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Communicating in a credible and efficient way
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Essential: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Monitoring & Evaluation or Data Management related field with additional data management training.
- At least 2 years’ experience in health related data management.
- Experience in quality collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of health information for program planning and management.
- Experience in database development.
- Working knowledge of statistical application programs (EPI INFO, SPSS, STATA etc.) and mapping programs (ArcGIS, QGIS etc)
- Previous related work experience in the UN or other International Development Agencies Training on DHIS2 platform
Use of language skills:
- Essential: Very good Knowledge of English
- Basic knowledge of ICT, programming, mobile and web based data technology
- Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures. Demonstrated abilities for team-work.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different background
Closing Date: 14th January, 2019, 11:59:00 PM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.