The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Project Officer (MM, LM & DIASPORA)
SVN No.: CFCV2019_84
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: NOA
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Ungraded (SSTUG) equivalent; Maternity Replacement – Four (4) Months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MM/AVRR) Lagos, under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer (MM) in Abuja and in close coordination with relevant units, the successful candidate will be responsible for co-ordinating and implementation of Labour migration and Diaspora components of the EUTF-IOM joint Initiatives for Migrant Protection and Reintegration for Nigeria, with special focus on the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment (FMLE) and other actors working on Diaspora policy as key IOM partners.
- S/he will also coordinate all activities directed at strengthening labour migration management in Nigeria he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- In coordination with the National Programme Officer (MM), actively contribute to the implementation and monitoring of overall project activities, particularly in relation to labour migration management and strengthening policy frameworks for Diaspora engagement in the country.
- Act as a resource person for coordination issues between the project partners, implementing agencies, the donor and other counterparts, through monitoring of the work of the coordination groups relevant to labour migration and Diaspora issues, in partnership with the FMLE and key actors working Diaspora activities in the country, providing technical support and guidance.
- In close coordination with National Programme Officer, facilitate the implementation of capacity building activities of the project, focusing on FMLE and ensuring that IOM standards and operating modalities are met when activities are implemented.
- In coordination with the National Programme Officer, establish and implement grants disbursement, reporting and monitoring mechanism’s, including a comprehensive tracking system to monitor all sub-grants and ensure that relevant documentation can be made available upon request.
- Formulate and take charge of delivery of training activities addressing specific needs of the FMLE, including in view of increasing capacity of the International Labour Migration Desk (ILMD).
- In close collaboration with ILMD/NELEX staff, facilitate the delivery of technical support to NELEX in all the six locations, in line with the recommendations of technical assessments carried out.
- Organize and provide expert advice to the organization of Labour Migration Advisory board and planning workshop meetings to support the implementation of the policy action plan.
- Support the FMLE and other relevant actors in the development of pilot projects from the Labour Migration Policy Action Plan and ensure that all projects implemented are tracked, monitored and reported.
- In coordination with the National Programme Officer, facilitate the implementation of the development of national border management strategy for the country and all project related capacity building activities to strengthen the implementation of the strategy.
- Support the Nigerian National Volunteer Service in the finalization and adoption of National Diaspora Policy, in collaboration with Standing Committee on Diaspora.
- Support the development and implementation of appropriate and targeted advocacy activities with state and non-state actors, including the media and the Diaspora associations to support the adoption of the National Diaspora policy.
- Prepare briefs and periodical reports on the status of the programme activities in FMLE and NNVS and support in the preparation of regular reports to the donors, government entities on project activities.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project activities, monitoring and assessments, liaisons with counterparts and problem solving.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in from an accredited institution in International Relations, Social Science, Law, Humanitarian Affairs or related field with two years professional experience;
- Masters Degree in above mentioned area; or alternatively an equivalent combination of related education and professional experience
- Two years’ experience (or none for candidates holding Masters Degree) in related field, preferably Project Management, preferably in Migration Assistance, Labour Migration Capacity Building or related experience.
- Knowledge of social development issues as well as general migration related issues in the country and the region
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage.
- Preferably within the United Nations or within the international humanitarian field;
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in all languages advantageous;
Inclusion & respect for diversity:
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency:
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
- Managing and sharing knowledge
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated. Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
- Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual strengths, workloads and interests.
- Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the Organization’s vision and purpose.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to understand needs and gain support.
Empowering others & building trust:
- Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
- Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion.
- Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort.
Strategic thinking & vision:
- Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
- Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
- Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to one another.
- Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Men with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: 10th July, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2019_84. Abuja. National Project Officer – MM. LM & Diaspora – NOA (Maternity Replacement).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.