The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Project Officer (MM/AVRR) – Maternity Replacement
SVN No.: CFCV2019_90
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (Assisted Voluntary Return & Reintegration)
IOM Classification: NOA
Type of Appointment :Special Short Term Ungraded (SSTUG) equivalent; Maternity Replacement – Four (4) Months
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
To meet these challenges, the European Union (EU) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) have developed the Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in Africa (hereinafter “Joint Initiative”). Complementing this programme, IOM is also planning to implement additional projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows. The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
Working under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, Migration Management and the direct supervision of the Project Officer (MM/AVRR). The successful candidate will be responsible for planning, coordinating and monitoring the implementation of IOM’s activities to support improved migration policy and data management. S/he will also provide technical guidance and implement targeted actions aimed at strengthening the capacities of national partners on sustainable reintegration of returning migrants:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Contribute to the Mission’s day-to-day communications plan and websites operation. Update, maintain, prepare, create, edit, manage, publish news, information and web content.
- Support the Reintegration Officer in overall monitoring of individual, collective and community reintegration;
- Identification of areas of support and interventions within the reintegration thematic area.
- Liaise and maintain partnerships with UN agencies, government institutions, implementing partners, and other relevant stakeholders, supporting strategic discussions relevant to reintegration;
- In close coordination with the Project Manager, coordinate and monitor the implementation of ongoing projects in a well-coordinated and coherent manner, including support to preparation of annual work plans, drafting terms of reference, arranging for training activities workshops, preparing necessary correspondence, drafting project cooperation agreements, memoranda of understanding et al.
- Support the planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring and evaluation of the project and contribute to the assessment of the impact and effectiveness of the assistance through regular consultation with relevant stakeholders including government counterparts, beneficiaries, appropriate baselines, regular field visits and preparation of progress and other required reports;
- Track use of resources in accordance with IOM rules and regulations, effectively applying result based management tools to support achievement of result;
- Provide technical assistance, guidance and support to implementing partners and government counterpart;
- Present technical and policy information on reintegration to the Programme Manager
- Assist in coordinating programme initiatives on returns with other stakeholders and developing inter-agency synergies, supporting a common vision and implementation approach;
- Assist in resource mobilization efforts, including the identification of project opportunities and inputs to the development of project proposals;
- Contribute to the development of knowledge management products on reintegration issues;
- Coordinate effective documentation of project results, benchmarking on best practices et al
- Organize training for project staff / implementing partners / government institution on return/reintegration issues;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Migration Studies, Economics, Management, Humanitarian Affairs, International Relations or other relevant Social Science disciplines, or University Degree with minimum of two years relevant experience in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience, management and monitoring of livelihoods, reintegration and community development
- Preferably within the United Nationals Common System and the International Humanitarian Field;
- Highly conversant with various Nigerian public institutions and legislations relevant to the IOM reintegration programme
- Experience in working with migrants and source/transit communities; particularly the socio-economic reintegration of returnees or other groups;
- Familiarity with programmatic issues surrounding return, reintegration and migration management
- Proven capacity of and experience in team building;
- Familiarity with relevant policies including migration management, return migration employment creation, income generation and reintegration would be an asset;
- Experience in gender and protection of sensitive programming and implementation would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Native Language;
- Fluency in multiple languages advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM (optional depending on position level)
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: 19th July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line “CFCV2019_90 Lagos. National Project Officer (MM/AVRR)NOA (Maternity Replacement)”
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.