The West African Health Organisation (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), with mandate to ensure the attainment of the highest possible standard and protection of health for the people in the ECOWAS region.Communicable and non-communicable diseases are the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in the region. Disease control and the prevention of epidemics are, therefore, among the priorities of the 15 countries in the ECOWAS region and a central tenet of WAHO activities.
The World Bank has provided grants to ECOWAS for WAHO to implement various health projects including (REDISSE, SWEDD SM/NTD and WA-MRH).
It is within this framework that WAHO seeks to recruit a qualified and experienced candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Specialist
Reference No: FM/TEND/AMI/2019/04/bk
Location: Bobo- Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Duties and Responsibilities
The Procurement Specialist, working under the coordination of the General Coordinator of the Project Management Unit (PMU) of the West African Health Organisation (WAHO), will be responsible for conducting effective and efficient procurement and tender-related activities for the projects and WAHO, in accordance with the requirements and procedures of the World Bank and ECOWAS. Among his/her duties are the following:
- Prepare and update, in collaboration with the General Coordinator of the Project Management Unit, the Annual Procurement Plan for Projects financed by the World Bank and WAHO,
- Implement basic procurement instruments (operations manuals, guidelines and contract management documents in accordance with the requirements of the project implementation manual,
- Implement contract management tools suitable to the needs of the project, including the annual procurement plan and its periodic updating,
- Initiate the procurement processes, ensuring compliance with agreed procurement method thresholds,
- Monitor and ensure timely responses to procurement questions raised by the World Bank and also prepare the requests for “no objection”,
- Prepare final contracts and see to the timely distribution of all relevant procurement and contract documents to all stakeholders (Consultants, Suppliers, the World Bank etc.),
- Ensure timely delivery of goods, works and services,
- Establish a performance monitoring database for all suppliers and consultants, and ensure efficiency and timeliness in the delivery of outputs from the service providers,
- Establish and maintain a central procurement filing system, and ensure all related documents are included in the respective files, to ensure ease of retrieval of information,
- Prepare Monthly, Quarterly, Semi-annual and Annual Procurement Reports as inputs into the Project Management Reports,
- Coordinate preparation of post procurement reviews by the Bank and participate in Bank supervision missions,
- Provide support and participate in capacity building activities of WAHO procurement staff and
- Carry out any other relevant duties that may from time to time be assigned by WAHO management.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Master’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, Procurement or other related disciplines
- At least seven (07) years professional experience in the management of public procurement
- Experience or acquaintance with the World Bank and other international donors’ procurement regulations, procedures and standards documents
- Knowledge of public sector procurement requirements
- Sound knowledge of computerized purchasing systems
- Demonstrated experience working in a multicultural environment and with senior level professionals, a variety of partners and diverse stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated capacity building experience
- Highly organized, good interpersonal skills, and a team player
- Candidates must be fluent (written and oral) in one of the official languages of ECOWAS (English, French and Portuguese). A working knowledge of a second official language would be an advantage.
Duration, Duty Station and Nature of Appointment
- This is a World Bank- funded Consulting position under WAHO’s PMU.The Procurement Specialist will be appointed for a period of one (1) year subject to three (3) months’ probation. The contract may be renewed based on satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The incumbent shall enjoy an attractive consolidated remuneration.
- The Procurement Specialist will be based at WAHO Headquarters in Bobo- Dioulasso, BURKINA FASO.He or She will travel across the ECOWAS region as required.
- Applicants interested in this notice should provide information that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services (Cover letter indicating the position applied for, detailed Curriculum Vitae – including description of past similar assignments, and experience – and copies of supporting documents).
- The consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures for the selection of individual consultants as set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines:Selection and Employment of Consultants by the World Bank Borrowers (ed. January 2011, revised in July 2014) available on the World Bank web site http://www.worldbank.org
Closing Date: 12:00 hours GMT; 30th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified individual Consultants should express their interest by submitting their Applications (in person, by post or email) to the address below:
Prof. Stanley Okolo,
West African Health Organisation,
01 BP 153 Bobo-Dioulasso 01 ,
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org cc email@example.com
- The top right corner of the envelope or the subject of the email must indicate the position applied for.
- WAHO or the World Bank will not be held responsible for any costs or expenses incurred by the individual Consultant in connection with the preparation or submission of the EOI.
- Interested individuals candidates may access the TORs on WAHO website at: w3.wahooas.org.