The International Foundation Against Infectious Disease in Nigeria (ifain.org), is a non-Governmental, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to execute medical research in the field of infectious diseases with the goal of identifying causes of serious infections and promoting cure Of prevention for these conditions in Nigeria. The organization is supported by research grants from foreign universities, international donor agencies and has collaborative links with several Nigerian tertiary institutions. We seek applications from qualified candidates to fill the following positions:
Position Summary/Purpose of Position
- The Research Microbiologist will be required to assist the organization with successful execution of extramurally-funded research programs in the laboratory. The specific responsibilities include design, execute and analyze experiments aimed to research various causes of invasive bacterial infections in children as well as the molecular characterization of bacterial isolates.
- Additional responsibilities include; supervision of sentinel field laboratories, presentation of scientific data, preparation of manuscripts as well as routine assistance with maintenance of laboratory instruments and inventories.
- Position will be posted in Abuja – candidate must be willing and able to travel, work and stay at other research sites in Nigeria including Kano, Ibadan, Ilorin and other future sites which may be in rural areas. Candidate may also be asked to occasionally travel internationally.
- Position will report directly to the IFAIN director and will manage several medical laboratory scientists. The job requires a minimum of eight hours a day five days a week but appointees must be willing and flexible with work hours to accommodate project/program timelines.
- D. required.
- The successful candidates will have a strong background of research in Microbiology and Molecular and Cellular Biology especially in countries outside of Nigeria.
- Highly motivated and creative scientist with a good publication record and strong interest in pursuing the molecular and cellular mechanisms that regulate immune responses and microbial virulence.
- A competitive salary package will be offered based on experience and duration post completion of PhD.
Method of Applications
When applying, please submit cover letter with research interests, curriculum vitae, name and e-mail address of three professional references.
Applications can be e-mailed to Ifainjobs@yahoo.com. Only e-mailed applications will be accepted
- For best consideration, applications should be received by April 30, 2015 or until a suitable candidate is identified for all the positions.