Olam Nigeria Limited is located in Lagos, Nigeria and is part of the Farm Support Services Industry. Olam Nigeria Limited has 3,000 employees at this location and generates $222.01 million in sales (USD).
With offices and operational units across all geopolitical zones of the Nigerian Federation, Olam has a wide and growing network of farmers, suppliers, wholesalers, local buying agents (LBAs), customers and service providers. Today, these networks encompass approximately 500,000 farmers and have created tens of thousands of jobs in indirect employment.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Position: Rice Seed Breeder
Job Location: Nigeria
Function: Not Applicable
Sub-Function: Not Applicable
- The Rice Breeder, under the immediate supervision of the General Manager / Business head
- He / She will undertake activities related to the breeding pipeline development for Olam Rice Farm.
- Develop high-yielding varieties corresponding to desired product profiles, in close collaboration with farm and mill teams, by combining good agronomic traits, desirable grain quality, and tolerance/resistance to abiotic and biotic stresses through a conventional breeding approach.
- Plans and carries out breeding studies to develop and improve varieties of Rice: Improves specific characteristics, such as yield, quality, maturity, and resistance to drought, disease and insect pests in plants, utilizing principles of genetics and knowledge of plant growth.
- Produce pure parent line, breeder and foundation seed for multiplication.
- Breeds plants, using methods such as inbreeding, crossbreeding, backcrossing, outcrossing and selection.
- Select progeny having desired characteristics and continues breeding and selection process to reach desired objectives.
- Lead the testing of advanced breeding lines developed at inhouse Center for various breeding product segments (Early duration, Mid duration, long grains, High amylose content, High yielding germplasm)
- Coordinate with external stakeholders (Private organization/Public institutes) for new germplasm introduction and breeding collaborations.
- Facilitate varietal release and adoption at farm and create demand for superior varieties;
Qualifications /Selection Criteria Education and work experience:
- PhD in breeding, genetics or other related fields with a minimum of 2-year experience in Rice breeding; or M.Sc. in breeding, genetics or other related fields with a minimum of 5-year experience in Rice breeding in a reputed seed company or research institution.
Knowledge and Key Competencies:
- Highly self-motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative;
- Strong record of innovation and process improvement in breeding;
- Excellent knowledge of statistics in field experimental design and data analysis;
- Good project management, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong scientific writing skills;
- Ability to work in multicultural environments;
- The candidate should communicate fluently (oral and writing) in English.
Method of Application Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Apply
Closing Date: 23rd April, 2021