The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of ECOWAS that operates in the general interest of the regional power network system in order to ensure a reliable power supply throughout the region (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo). Today, WAPP comprises thirty-five (35) electricity companies that are public and private power generation, transmission, distribution and commercialisation entities involved in the operation of the power network system in West Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: SCADA Engineer
Location: PMU Head Office, Abuja, Nigeria
Project Name: WAPP North Core/Projet Dorsale Nord Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Project Management Unit (PMU) of the North Core Project
Reports to: Senior Technical Coordinator
Job Context: Extensive travel within the project zones
Appointment: Full time, approximately 36 months
Language required: Proficiency in English or French with a good knowledge of the second language.
- The West Africa Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) which, among others, ensures regional power system integration and the realization of a regional electricity market.
- Within the framework of the West African Power Pool (WAPP), the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project. The project involves the construction of approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission lines from Nigeria to Burkina Faso, through Niger, and Benin, 24 km of 225 kV transmission lines in Burkina Faso, the construction or extension of seven substations, and the extension of two national control centers. The project will also involve the electrification of rural communities located within a 5 km radius on both sides of the line, and the implementation of a number of environmental and social mitigation measures. These include, among others, the implementation of Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) to provide for persons and communities affected by project implementation activities.
- The project is being financed by The Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU) and the World Bank (WB).
- Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to enhance its coordination, the Energy Ministers of the North Core countries agreed to put in place an institutional framework which includes the establishment of the Project Management Unit (PMU) to, among others, assist in the preparation and physical implementation of the North Core project. The supervision will be done by an Owner’s Engineer on behalf of the PMU. The PMU, based in Abuja (Nigeria), will also have local offices in the countries.
- Under the direct supervision of PMU Senior Technical Coordinator, the SCADA Engineer’s mandate will be to work closely with the Owner’s Engineer and local PMUs to monitor and ensure the effective execution of works for the installation of Substations Control and Monitoring Systems (SCMS) included in the project.
- His/Her tasks will be done in accordance with contracts signed with construction companies based on international and donors’ standards namely the World Bank, AfDB, AFD and EU.
Duties and Responsibilities
- More specifically, the SCADA Engineer will assist the Senior Technical Coordinator to monitor the engineering, schedules and reporting on progress of SCADA systems implementation in substations and National Control Centers.
Specific tasks include:
- Review of and validate system architecture, technical specifications and work programs of Substations Control and Monitoring Systems (SCMS) submitted by Contractors;
- Supervise the implementation of SCADA systems architecture, hardware, software, etc. at the substation;
- Supervise the implementation of SCMS integration in the National Control Centers;
- Ensure that the implementation of the SCADA component of the project conforms to contract specifications;
- Liaise with OE and utilities to provide relevant documentation and information for the project such as detailed data list etc.
- Follow up on correspondences between the OE, Contractors, PMU and the other stakeholders;
- Review reporting from Contractors and OE;
- Collect all relevant information, anticipate and identify problems and risks arising and recommend necessary actions;
- Assess and advise on all proposed technical variations justification or otherwise of claims;
- Supervise the commissioning of substations SCMS;
- Ensure technical support to local PMUs;
- Coordinate the interfaces with the construction of the Dispatching Center in Niger (AFD financing) and the new Dispatching Center (Zagtouli) and back up (Patte d’Oie) in Burkina faso (MCC financing);
- Coordinate the interfaces with TCN on Kainji-Birnin Kebbi Project financed by AFD in Nigeria;
- Respond effectively to any other job assigned by the Senior Technical Coordinator.
Qualification and Experience
The SCADA Engineer must have the following:
- Degree in Electrical, IT or Telecommunications Engineering or related field;
- Certificate in SCADA systems from a reputable manufacturer;
- At least 5 years work experience in the implementation (design, installation, maintenance) of high voltage substation or industrial field SCADA and telecommunication systems;
- Regional experience in working with multi-disciplinary teams and project stakeholders is desirable.
- Knowledge of RTU /Gateway functionality and SCADA protocols such as IEC 61850, IEC 60870, Modbus, DNP etc. and industrial ethernet networking is required;
- Strong knowledge of SCADA system software and hardware;
- Strong knowledge of telecommunication systems, fibre optic and Power Line Carrier (PLC) telecommunication systems;
- Experience in commissioning substation Automation systems including configuration and testing.
- Ability to interpret and troubleshoot substation automation schematic drawings;
- Broad knowledge in Information Technology (IT) and Operational Technology (OT) systems;
- Strong knowledge in MS office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and ability to use the internet.
Desirable Qualities, Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge of CAD software especially in the electrical engineering design (Autocad, Eplan, etc.) is an advantage;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a team and under pressure;
- Excellent planning and project management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, good team player and dependable;
- Possess a strong desire to perform work as directed in a conscientious, timely, safe and professional manner;
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- It is required that the SCADA Engineer is proficient in English or/and French (Read, write, speak) with a good knowledge of the other language.
- The SCADA Engineer will be required to prepare weekly progress reports on the implementation of works, as well as monthly and quarterly reports on the project and any other report assigned to him by the Senior Technical Coordinator. These reports shall comprise information, including but not limited to Progress and Forecasting, Schedule Updates, Quality, Safety and identification of Project Risks. These reports will be validated by the Senior Technical Coordinator and approved by the PMU Director.
- The performance of the SCADA Engineer will be evaluated annually by the Senior Technical Coordinator and validated by the PMU Director based on the above obligations as well as the following:
- Timely delivery of reports to the PMU
- Ensuring that implementation of project meets industry standards such as UCA, IEC, ISA etc.
- Project implementation adheres to OSHA safety standards for substations.
- Other key performance indicators derived from the duties and responsibilities above and agreed upon between the jobholder and the Senior Technical Coordinator, would be used as the basis for measuring the performance of the jobholder.
- This position is on a full time basis envisaged for a duration of approximately 36 months with a six (6) month probation period. Successful candidates will be stationed at the PMU Head Office in Abuja, Nigeria.
- A key requirement for this position may be/is fluency in French and/or English with a good working knowledge of the second language and ability to use relevant computer software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as the internet.
- Interested applicants are strongly advised to refer to the Terms of Reference (ToR) for the advertised position prior to sending their applications.
Closing Date: 18h00 GMT Friday, 15th May 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Before applying, candidates should Download and fill the Application Form Above which should be uploaded when completing the online application