The Parliament of the Economic Community of West Africa n States (ECOWAS), with headquarters in Abuja, invites applications from suitably qualified citizens of the Community to fill the following vacant positions in the professional category.
Objective of Position
- To serve as chief adviser to the Speaker of the Parliament on procedural matters, and to manage the day-to-day running of the secretariat of Parliament.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Secretary-General is the Head of the Administrative Secretariat of the Parliament. Reporting to the Speaker, he/she performs the following functions:
- Acts as chief adviser to the Speaker on matters of Parliamentary procedure.
- Oversees the day-to-day running of the Secretariat of the Parliament.
- Acts as the channel of communication between the Speaker and other members of Parliament and the Secretariat
- Oversees the preparation of the order paper, reports, votes and proceedings of the Parliament, the Bureau and the Committees and ensures their publication and safe custody
- Oversees the recruitment, deployment, supervision and management of the staff of the Parliament
- Acts as the Accounting Officer of the Parliament
- Prepares and manages the annual budget of the Parliament and submits quarterly and annual statements to the Bureau
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Speaker
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a Masters Degree in Management, Public Administration, the Social Sciences or Law from a recognized University.
- A minimum of twelve (12) years international experience including seven (7) years of Parliamentary work experience at a managerial level is required.
- In addition, the candidate must be proficient in at least two of the three Community languages English, French and Portuguese.
- Proficiency in the use of a computer is also required.
- The post of Secretary-General is on D2 of the ECOWAS salary scale: UA44,636 UA55,455 per annum.
- Vacancies are restricted to citizens of ECOWAS Member States only.
- Candidates must not exceed the age of fifty (50) years by the date of appointment.
Submission of Applications
Interested applicants should submit their applications with detailed Curriculum Vitae and photocopies of relevant credentials to:
The Honourable Speaker
International Conference Centre
PMB, 576, Garki
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Closing Date: 20/03/2015