The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Press and Public Affairs Officer C4 (24/19 ABJ)
Grade: C4 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 24 months
Start Date: 1st August 2019
Type of Post: British High Commission
Job Subcategory: Communications, Press and Media
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Main Purpose of Job
- The British High Commission wishes to recruit an experienced and dynamic professional to run and manage the British High Commission’s Press Office.
- Working to the Head of Communications, the Senior Press Officer plays a pivotal role in ensuring that the UK government in Nigeria is able to communicate effectively and innovatively across a range of traditional and digital media.
- They set the direction of the team, ensuring prompt and effective response to national and international media. This is an exciting and fast paced role suitable for a communications professional wishing to stretch themselves.
Roles and Responsibilities
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Working with the BHC’s Head of Communications, colleagues across all Government departments operating in Nigeria as well as the press offices of Government Departments in London, to set the direction of UK communications in Nigeria and ensuring the BHC’s communications strategy is consistent with instructions and guidelines set by senior officials in London and Nigeria.
- Team leader for the BHC’s Press and Public Affairs team with direct line management for three locally engaged staff in Abuja.
- Leading the Press and Public Affairs team in the monitoring and analysis of national and international media, so as to provide reliable and informative products to colleagues in the Nigeria Network as well as the Nigeria Team in the Foreign Office in London.
- Managing media engagements for senior staff in Nigeria as well as visiting senior officials and Ministers, ensuring that they are well planned and that staff are prepared for and supported through them.
- Ensuring the UK in Nigeria has an active and effective approach to all aspects of communications including but not limited to public diplomacy events, external digital communications and increasing the audience receiving UK messages.
- Building and maintaining an effective network of contacts across the spectrum of the Nigerian Media to ensure that the BHC has a thorough understanding of the Media’s role in Nigerian society and is well placed to engage constructively when needed.
- Acting as one of the British High Commission’s spokespeople, including drafting, clearing and delivering appropriate media messages to local and international media
N.B: This position is based in abuja, the location will be reviewed 6 months after appointment of the successful applicant to consider relocation to lagos. Applicants must be happy to transfer to lagos if necessary – a relocation package will be provided.
Essential Qualifications, Skills And Experience
- Qualified to at least undergraduate degree level
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Highly organised, able to take initiative and to work accurately within deadlines and with limited supervision in a fast paced environment
- A good working knowledge of ICT software (e.g. MS Word) in general and strong skills in digital media, including Face book, Twitter and other social networking sites
- Attention to detail and comfortable producing accurate statements under pressure
- Strong networking and relationship management skills
- Previous experience in public relations, marketing or media, including developing and implementing media communication plans/media campaigns and managing events.
- Effective management of teams
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience working in an international organisation
- Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Starting Salary N790,125/month
Closing Date: 21st June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount. Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-frameworkPlease note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates