The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: State Senior Malaria Technical Advisor
Job ID: 13-10611
Slot: 8 Openings
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN – Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: A576 – PMI – S
Reports To: State Team Leader.
- PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH.
- The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention. PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
- PMI-S will target eight states of Nigeria, namely: Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross-River, Ebonyi, Nassarawa, Oyo, Plateau and Zamfara.
- The SSMTA will deputize the State Team Leader and provide overall technical leadership and implementation of PMI-S state malaria program.
- This position will coordinate with the Senior Malaria Technical Advisor/Deputy Project Director and other relevant technical officers at the PMI-S central office to draw down federal malaria TA to the state; and will coordinate with other positions at the state level to ensure coherent design, management, monitoring and reporting of PMI-S state malaria program.
- S/he will spearhead strengthening of a state partnership for malaria elimination using elements of the High Burden High Impact (HBHI) initiative to funnel public and private sector resources to common state malaria elimination plans.
- The Senior State Malaria Technical Advisor (SSMTA) will deputize the State Team Leader providing malaria technical expertise in the conceptualization and implementation of state systems and processes to support effective and efficient delivery of malaria services.
- Lead and supervise a team of technical advisors (malaria case management, diagnosis, prevention and community services) that will provide TA to the State Malaria Elimination Program (SMEP) and health providers at health facilities and in the community.
- Provide technical leadership in the development and monitoring of the state malaria annual work plan (AOP) and work closely with the State Team Leader to ensure that departmental work plans are implemented and monitored on quarterly basis.
- Engage the State Malaria Elimination Program, SPHCDA, and relevant SMOH entities and partners to share progress, accomplishments, and challenges and ensure common understanding of current as well as future strategic direction.
- Collaborate with the State Team Leader and the Finance and Operations Manager to optimize and utilize project resources in the most efficient way to achieve project results.
- Develop and roll out a mentoring and supportive supervision programs at all levels of the state health system as it relates to malaria elimination.
- Oversee malaria services quality assurance initiatives at the state level including improvements to diagnosis through RDTs and microscopy, and accurate treatment of both severe and acute cases of malaria using national treatment guidelines, IPTp, iCCM, and participate in design of improvements to LLIN distribution (routine and campaigns).
- Collaborate with the Senior State SME Advisor and the logistician to develop and institutionalize a system for tracking the malaria cascade (persons with fever, tested with RDT/microscopy, positives treated with ACT, outcome of treatment) and the related commodities/supplies.
- Provide TA to the SMEP on effective engagement of private sector health service providers in planning and implementation of state malaria elimination programs.
- Contribute to writing project reports, documentation of good practices, and technical publications.
- Contribute to visibility of PMI for States Project work through innovative presentation of project approaches and results at state, federal and international levels.
Qualifications and Experience
- A first Degree in a related Health field and a Master’s Degree in Public Health, Public Administration, Management or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- At least 8 years’ senior level work experience in health program management in developing countries, five of which implementing malaria elimination programs under PMI or other donor agency at state or federal level.
- Demonstrated capacity to collaborate with State Health departments, SPHCDA, partners supporting SMOH, and LGAs to achieve results.
- Proven programmatic, technical and managerial expertise in providing support to institutions to strengthen their management and/or leadership capacity, systems and processes, and sustainability potential.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Computer skills: Windows applications for word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Extraordinary verbal and written communication skills to manage project communications and disseminate project information are required.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, and interpersonal skills to ensure internal coherence among diverse team members and sub-partners, as well as external relations with the State Ministry of Health, civil society, private sector and other stakeholders.
Closing Date: 26th April, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Kindly note that recruitment for this job position is contingent upon receiving funding and donor approval.
- Interested candidates are required to indicate on their applications, 3 states in order of preference, where they would be willing to work in.