The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: State Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
Job ID: 13-10613
Locations: Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross-River, Ebonyi, Nassarawa, Oyo, Plateau and Zamfara
Project/Program: A576 – PMI – S
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN – Program Delivery Group
Reports to: State Team Leader.
- PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH.
- The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention.
- PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
- PMI-S will target eight states of Nigeria, namely: Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross-River, Ebonyi, Nassarawa, Oyo, Plateau and Zamfara.
- The objective of the M&E Advisor position is to provide technical leadership in the roll-out of Malaria M&E plan in the states integrating it with other health systems and generating strategic data for program management, reporting and documentation of best practices.
- Spearhead the roll-out of Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan in line with PMI-S project and national reporting requirements.
- Member of the State Project Management Team that is responsible for overall project performance.
- Provide technical input in the development of an integrated State Malaria project plan in collaboration with the Directors, Advisors and State Teams.
- Provide support in the implementation of Malaria State M&E plan in collaboration with the State Team, Advisors and Directors and take the lead on the reporting formats for PMI_S indicators and targets.
- Contribute to establish a system for the flow of information from service-delivery points to the Malaria PMI-S project central data base and ensure timely M&E technical support to all implementing health facilities.
- Take lead in building the capacity of health units’ M&E staff and relevant health and community workers in data collection, summarization, analysis and presentation of M&E activities.
- Work with the SMEP and LGA M & E officers to support facility level routine data analysis and use.
- Manage the roll-out of the PMI-S project for State level M&E data quality assurance system including quarterly data quality audits.
- Coordinate regular data quality assessments, undertaken in a participatory manner, with facility staff and ensure the completeness, consistency and validity of routine data.
- Work with the state and LGA M & E officers to provide feedback to HFs on data quality and ensure that appropriate actions are taken to improve data quality at the HF level;
- Ensure that the quality of program/project Monitoring and Enhanced Evaluation in the sites is of international standard and quality by supporting the development and implementation of appropriate mechanisms quality improvement.
- Provide direct technical assistance and capacity building in the design and implementation of the program/project Monitoring and Enhanced Evaluation components of the activities in the LGAs and communities served.
- Build capacity of local partners in project monitoring and with program staff and local partners, use program/project monitoring data to modify existing programs and design new programs.
- Provide technical support in evaluation research (including developing a research plan, sampling strategies, analysis and presentation of data) to the local research groups working on the PMI-S project.
- Participate in project assessments, evaluations and design teams.
- Assist the STL to coordinate the establishment/strengthening of one state M&E system that informs policy and practice.
- Ensure state-of-the art database management practice at the state.
- Analyze M&E data on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis and flag action areas to the state and national project teams.
- Work with the SMEP to document and publish best practices in malaria service delivery in PMI-S supported facilities.
- Perform any other task to be assigned by your supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Postgraduate degree in Statistics, Epidemiology or related field with focus on monitoring and evaluation and/or Biostatistics.
- Minimum of 4 years’ hands-on monitoring & evaluation experience.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in developing and implementing monitoring plans and/or management information systems 3 years of which spent working with NGOs in an African setting.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in Malaria programs in Nigeria is desirable.
- Familiarity with USAID reporting systems highly desirable. particularly for Malaria.
- Good analytical, presentation and reporting skills.
- Good knowledge of Surveillance Monitoring and Evaluation systems and practice.
- Excellent inter-personal, multi-cultural and team building skills.
- Strong computer skills particularly in spreadsheets, database and statistical applications.
- Strong skills in the use of DHIS2 for data management.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Strong mentoring and supervision skills.
- Ability to work with and build teams.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate field level data staff.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to foresee problems and initiate appropriate action.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, and in team.
- Ability to supervise data specialists for quality data entry and reporting.
- Ability to make propose solutions related to issues with data generated in collaboration with state team members.
Closing Date: 30th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Kindly note that recruitment for this job position is contingent upon receiving funding and donor approval.
- Interested candidates are required to indicate on their applications, 3 states in order of preference, where they would be willing to work in.