The West African Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of ECOWAS that operates in the general interest of the regional power network system in order to ensure a reliable power supply throughout the region (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo). Today, WAPP comprises thirty-five (35) electricity companies that are public and private power generation, transmission, distribution and commercialisation entities involved in the operation of the power network system in West Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Substation Engineer
Location: PMU Head Office, Abuja, Nigeria
Project Name: WAPP North Core/Projet Dorsale Nord Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Project Management Unit (PMU) of the North Core Project
Reports to: Senior Technical Coordinator
Job Context: Extensive travel within the project zones
Appointment: Full time, approximately 36 months
Language required: Proficiency in English or French with a good knowledge of the second language.
- The West Africa Power Pool (WAPP) is a specialized institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) which, among others, ensures regional power system integration and the realization of a regional electricity market.
- Within the framework of the West African Power Pool (WAPP), the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project. The project involves the construction of approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission lines from Nigeria to Burkina Faso, through Niger, and Benin, 24 km of 225 kV transmission lines in Burkina Faso, the construction or extension of seven substations, and the extension of two national control centers. The project will also involve the electrification of rural communities located within a 5 km radius on both sides of the line, and the implementation of a number of environmental and social mitigation measures. These include, among others, the implementation of Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) to provide for persons and communities affected by project implementation activities.
- The project is being financed by The Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU) and the World Bank (WB).
- Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to enhance its coordination, the Energy Ministers of the North Core countries agreed to put in place an institutional framework which includes the establishment of the Project Management Unit (PMU) to, among others, assist in the preparation and physical implementation of the North Core project. The supervision will be done by an Owner’s Engineer on behalf of the PMU. The PMU, based in Abuja (Nigeria), will also have local offices in the countries.
- Under the direct supervision of PMU Senior Technical Coordinator, the Substation Engineer’s mandate will be to work closely with the Owner’s Engineer and local PMUs to monitor and ensure the effective execution of works for the construction of Substations included in the project.
- His/Her tasks will be undertaken in accordance with contracts signed with construction companies based on international and donors’ standards namely the World Bank, AfDB, AFD and EU.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Substation Engineer will assist the Senior Technical Coordinator to monitor the engineering, schedules and reporting on progress of Substation construction and expansion works.
Specific tasks include:
- Review and validate substation infrastructure design, technical specifications, and construction schedule submitted by Contractors;
- Ensure project implementation adheres to the contract specifications and applicable international standards;
- Attend Factory Acceptance Tests, and inspect the quality, and quantity of substation equipment;
- Supervise the installation of substation equipment and cabling to conform to approved design;
- Supervise commissioning conducted on substation equipment and issue reports;
- Follow up on correspondences between the OE, Contractors, PMU and the other stakeholders;
- Monitor the implementation of the project schedule to ensure adherence with the project timeline;
- Review the reporting from Contractors and OE;
- Check and certify the invoices of OE and contractors;
- Monitor the implementation of the Quality Management Plan set up by contractors;
- Monitor safety arrangements during works (Personal protective equipment, Staff certifications to handle specific electricity related tasks, etc.);
- Collect all relevant information on the construction, anticipate and identify problems and risks arising and recommend necessary actions to the PMU and project financiers;
- Assess and advise on all proposed technical variations; report on justification or otherwise of claims;
- Coordinate the interfaces with national utilities (NIGELEC, SONABEL) the rural electrification component of the North Core Project and especially for Burkina Faso with the SWS technology;
- Coordinate the interfaces with TCN on Kainji-Birnin Kebbi Project financed by AFD in Nigeria;
- Respond effectively to any other job assigned by the Senior Technical Coordinator.
Qualification and Experience
The Substations Engineer must have the following:
- Electrical Engineering Degree;
- Certification in Substation Protection and Automation systems;
- At least five (5) years of proven experience in HV substation’s maintenance, design or construction or experience in two (02) high voltage Substations construction projects;
- Regional experience in working with multi-disciplinary teams and project stakeholders is desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of Substation Engineering (i.e. SLD, layout, earthing system, insulation coordination, protections, etc.);
- Considerable knowledge of substation equipment (power transformers, circuit breakers, isolators, surge arresters, CTs, VTs, etc.)
- Considerable knowledge of HV substations Automation and Protection systems setting
- Experience in commissioning of substation equipment such as power transformers, circuit breakers, isolators, CTs, VTs, Control and Protective panels etc;
- Strong knowledge in managing engineering contracts awarded as part of implementation of energy projects will be an advantage;
- Ability to interpret substation electromechanical/electrical schematic drawings;
- Strong knowledge in MS office suite and ability to use the internet.
Desirable Qualities, Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge of CAD software such as AutoCAD and E-Plan is an Advantage;
- Hands on experience on test sets from reputable manufacturers such as Omicron, Megger, ABB etc.
- Excellent planning and project management skills; able to work with little or no supervision;
- Possess a strong desire to perform work as directed in a conscientious, timely, safe and professional manner;
- Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder management skills including the ability to build collaborative and productive relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholder groups;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a team and under pressure to meet project deadlines.
- It is required that the Substation Engineer is proficient in English or/and French (Read, write, speak) with a good knowledge of the second language.
- The substation Engineer will be required to prepare weekly progress reports on the implementation of works and progress rate, as well as monthly and quarterly reports on the project. These reports shall comprise information, including but not limited to Billing, Reporting and Forecasting, Progress Table, Schedule Updates, Quality, Safety and identification of Project Risks. These reports will be validated by the Senior Technical Coordinator and approved by the PMU Director.
- The performance of the Substation Engineer will be evaluated annually by the Senior Technical Coordinator and cleared by the PMU Director based on the above obligations as well as the following:
- Timely delivery of reports to the PMU
- Ensuring that implementation of project meet industry standards such as IEEE, IEC etc.
- Project implementation adheres to international safety and environmental standards for substations projects.
- Other key performance indicators derived from the duties and responsibilities above and agreed upon between the jobholder and the Senior Technical Coordinator, would be used as the basis for measuring the performance of the jobholder
- This position is on a full time basis envisaged for a duration of approximately 36 months with a six (6) month probation period. Successful candidates will be stationed at the PMU Head Office in Abuja, Nigeria.
- A key requirement for this position may be/is fluency in French and/or English with a good working knowledge of the second language and ability to use relevant computer software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as the internet.
- Interested applicants are strongly advised to refer to the Terms of Reference (ToR) for the advertised position prior to sending their applications.
Closing Date: 18h00 GMT Friday, 15th May 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Before applying, candidates should Download and fill the Application Form Above which should be uploaded when completing the online application