Promoting Women’s Engagement in Peace and Security in Northern Nigeria
Vacancy: Technical Support the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs & Social Development
Location/Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Individual Contract, Special Service Agreement (SSA) National
Languages Required: English: Written and oral proficiency in English is Required
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) April, 2015
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination
against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and
beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
More than ten years after the passage of UN Security Council resolution 1325, there is widespread concern that progress made at the
normative and policy levels has not been translated into significant improvements in the lives of women and girls in conflict and post-conflict countries. To address this, UN Women with funding support from the European Union, is implementing a programme that pilots a
model for EUIUN collaboration on Women, Peace and Security matters in three states of Northern Nigeria.
The programme ‘Promoting Women’s Engagement in Peace and Security in Northern Nigeria’ supports the Nigerian Government (Federal level), three Northern States of Nigeria and· selected constituent Local Government Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings. It is composed of three inter-locked components, each with their own specific objective: 1 }strengthening women’s role in conflict prevention, peacemaking and peace building; 2) mitigating the impact of conflict upon women and girls; and 3) establishing a conducive environment for effective implementation and monitoring of gender equality commitments in Nigeria. The programme is being implemented by UN Women, in partnership with UNICEF and with support from European Union (EU).
Interventions are coordinated through a results-based strategy to raise the capacities of Nigerian institutions, women’s groups and gender equality advocates. The activities related to each thematic area include women’s leadership in peacemaking, improved rights’ violation monitoring/reporting and protection services, and national implementation of women, peace and security and gender equality
frameworks, aimed at achieving a common objective while remaining flexible to fit the specificities of each of the three target states: Adamawa, Plateau and Gombe.
A wide range of partners from Government, Civil Society Organizations, Media and Community/ Religious Groups are engaged in the programme implementation. These include Office of the Governor of each State, Federal and States Ministries of Women’s Affairs and Social Development, State law-makers, Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Advocates and their networks, National Human Rights Commission and Local Media, among others. The Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development will be supported to implement the National Action Plan on UNSCR 1325 at federal level and the three selected states for the initiative, while also working closely with UN Women and UNICEF in coordinating programme interventions at all levels.
In order to effectively implement the third component of the programme’ i.e. establishing a conducive environment for the effective implementation of the National Action Plan on UNSCR 1325 at national and state levels, while also supporting complementary coordinating role expected from the ministry a strategic and result-oriented approach is required. This includes strengthening capacity of the Federal and States Ministries of Women Affairs and Social Development, design of strategic programme frame work (including proposals/concept notes with specific objectives, strategy, action plans. measurable indicators, budget and M&E Plan, among other relevant documents. Technical support will therefore be required to support the ministry in fulfilling its role partner as a key partner to the programme.
In view of the above, UN Women seeks to engage a consultant with excellent Project and Result-Based Management skills, substantial experience working in Government MDAs and International Development Organizations, amongst other competencies to provide technical support to the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development(FMWASD) as a partner for the implementation of
the programme. The consultant will also act as a Liaison officer to strengthen working relationship between FMWASD, UN Women and other partners under the Women Peace Security programme, for effective service delivery.
Objectives of the assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is to strengthen the capacity of the Federal and States Ministries of Women Affairs for effective partnership and attainment of set goal and objectives of the programme ‘Promoting Women’s Engagement in Peace and Security in Northern Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities of Consultant
- Under the supervision of UN Women Nigeria Country Representative and Office of the Honourable Minister, FMWASD, the technical
consultant will ensure that necessary consultations with the Deputy Programme Manager, UN Women and other key staff of UN Women
and FMWASD are undertaken for strategic procedures needed to improve the quality of the programme, as it relates to partnership between UN Women and FMWASD.
Key functions and deliverables
The functions of the consultant will include but not limited to the following:
- Act as a liaison between the FMWASD and UN Women and its partners by strengthening communication, coordination and effective partnership for the implementation and monitoring of the programme:
- Play leadership role in coordinating key staff in relevant departments of the FMWASD, and ensuring team work for effective service delivery, at both national and state levels:
- Provide technical support to FMWASD in the development/review of relevant programme documents, including Proposals/Concept Notes, Log Frame, Annual/Quarterly Work Plans, M&E Plan and Budget, among others for the programme;
- Prepare Activity and Quarterly Reports with focus on Component 3 of the programme, and submit to both UN Women and the FMWASD;
- Provide technical support and strategic direction to the FMWASD for the effective implementation and monitoring of component 3 of the programme:
- Perform any other relevant task agreed upon by both UN Women and the FMWASD.
- Strategic result framework for coordination of the programme and effective partnership between UN Women and the Federal and target states ministries of Women Affairs, as well as other key partners;
- Strategic Action Plan and implementation strategies with UN Women for strengthening the capacity of the FMWASD and State
- Ministries of Women under the programme;
- Proposal with strategic and innovative strategies including Work Plans and Budget on specific areas that requires UN Women’s support for the effective implementation of UNSCR 1325 National Action Plan at Federal and State levels:
- Reports of activities implemented and results achieved by the FMWASD and other key partner sat State and Federal levels, with support from UN Women. as well as technical support and coordination provided, under the EU funded programme.
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions as well as
values and ethical standards, in line with the UN code of Conduct
- Ethics and Values: Promoting ethics and integrity/creating organizational precedents
Commitment: Demonstrates commitment to UN Women’s mission an division
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability/valuing diversity: Demonstrating and appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating and international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning form cultural diversity.
Required skills and experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Social Science, Peace and Security Studies, Gender Studies, International Development, Law, Human Rights, Political Science, international Relations or other related field.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience working in the field of gender and development with a focus on the promotion of Gender Equity, Women’s empowerment and Women’s Human Rights. Experience working on Women Peace and Security, Government Ministries Departments and Agencies as well as International Development Organizations is an advantage:
- A good understanding of normative instruments such as UN Resolution on Women, Peace and Security, as well as women’s rights instruments at international and regional level;
- Effectiveness in establishing and fostering good relations with government ministries and their counterparts, UN Agencies, Donors, and NGO partners;
- Knowledgeable on programme management tools; Results-Based Management:
- Strong diplomatic skills in handling counterpart relations;
- Knowledge of the African context, in particularly on women, peace and security; knowledge of the Nigerian context, in particular Northern Nigeria is an advantage; experience working in conflict environment is an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to wor1< in an independent manner: ability to organize work efficiently and deal with multiple tasks:
- Demonstrate string writing, analytical and communication skills;
- Proven Team Building, Communication, Facilitation and Coordination skills;
- Familiar with the work of UN Women and knowledge of UNDP/UN Women rules and procedures is desirable:
- Knowledge of EU programme management rules and procedures is an advantage.
Written and oral proficiency in English is required.
Timeline: 6 months (April-September, 2015. This contract may however be extended.
Remuneration will be in accordance with relevant UN scale offices in Nigeria.
Work-related DSA for time spent out of consultant’s duty station will be paid.
Method of Application
Qualified National Consultant interested in this assignment is required to submit his/her CV, with a one page cover letter of application strong justification of suitability for the position to: procurement.Nigeria@unwomen.org,
Closing Date: 23/03/2015