Vacancy for the post of Vice-Chancellor, Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun, Delta State, Nigeria.
The Governing Council of Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun hereby announces that the position of Vice-Chancellor of the University will be vacant by April, 201 S. In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1993 as amended in 2003, 2007, 2012 and in exercise of its powers contained therein, the Governing Council wishes to commence the process of filling the impending vacancy. Consequently, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified distinguished academics with cognate experience in university teaching and administration for the position.
Interested Candidates are requested to note the following information about the University.
The Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE), Delta State, Nigeria was established in March 2007 under a Federal Government of Nigeria initiative to build a specialized University to produce unique high level manpower and relevant expertise for the Oil & Gas sector in Nigeria and worldwide.
FUPRE is the first of its kind in Africa and it is destined to be the premier international institution-of-choice with the state-of-the-art facilities to provide the petroleum and allied sectors, world class education, training, research, consultancy and extension services.
The Vice-Chancellor is the Principal Academic and Executive Officer of the University and ex-officio Chairman of the Senate and Member of the Governing Council of the University. Among his other functions, the Vice-Chancellor:
- Shall exercise general supervision over the University,
- Shall have general responsibility to Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the university
- Shall ensure that the provisions of the Law and Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations of the University are observed and he may exercise such powers as may be necessary or expedient for that purpose
Qualities and Qualifications of the Candidates
The Person for the post of Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun is required to possess a good University education of a recognized University and should be a proven manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to be:
- A highly distinguished scholar of the rank of Professor of not less than ten (10) years experience on that rank, with ability to provide academic and administrative leadership for the University Community.
- Able to command the respect of the national and international academic communities through his/her track records.
- Possess a clear vision for the development of the University and the realization of its mission.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and team-building skills and possess the ability to strengthen the bridges between staff, students, other members of the University Community and the University’s stakeholders.
- Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract much needed funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University.
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health.
- Have demonstrable ability to establish and maintain partnerships with local and international governmental and non-governmental agencies.
Terms and Conditions of Service
The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment. The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigerian Federal Universities as may be determined from time to time by Government and the Governing Council of the University as appropriate.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to note and comply with the following conditions:
- Each application letter should be made in thirty (30) copies and be accompanied by thirty (30) copies of the candidate’s detailed “Curriculum Vitae” (CV) duly signed and dated by the candidate. The CV must contain the candidate’s name in full, age, marital status, nationality, educational attainments with dates and academic achievements.
- Each application should include the names and addresses of three (3) referees. Each referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward direct to the Acting Registrar, a confidential report on the candidate’s character, academic and managerial competences in a properly sealed envelope marked Post of Vice-Chancel/or: Referee’s Report at the top left hand corner of the envelope
- Each application must be accompanied by thirty (3.0) copies of statement of the candidate’s vision for the University in the 21st century.
- In the case of candidates identified by the Search Team, the application shall conform to the requirements in (I) to (Ill) above, and in addition, the candidates shall present a letter of consent duly signed by him/her along with the application.
- All applications shall be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to: The Ag. Registrar and Secretary to Council, Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun.
- The sealed envelope(s) containing the applications or nominations should be marked Post of Vice-Chancellor at the top left hand corner and forwarded to reach the Registrar and Secretary to Council not later than six weeks from the date of this publication.
Candidates should please note that only those who are shortlisted will be contacted later.
Ag Registrar & Secretary to Council
Closing Date: 17/02/2015