The Governing Council, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, hereby announces that the position of Vice-Chancellor of the University will soon be vacant. In accordance with the provisions of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Law Cap 74 as amended, Council, hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and distinguished Professors with cognate experience in University teaching and administration for the post.
The Enugu State University of Science and Technology was originally founded as Anambra State University of Science and Technology (ASUTECH) on July 30,1980 by Law Ne.7 of 1980 enacted by the then Anambra State House of Assembly. Following the creation of Enugu State out of the former Anambra State by the Federal Military Government on 27th August, 1991, the Headquarters of then Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH) at Enugu and the Colleges of the University at Enugu and Abakaliki were constituted into the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) by the Enugu State Government of Nigeria Law CAP 74 as amended.
The Vision of the University is to be an outstanding internationally respected University in Africa with strong commitment to rigorous scholarship that promotes service to humanity through quality teaching, research and community social responsibility. The mission of the University is to produce graduates that can favourably compete with their counterparts all over the world and to promote scholarship, especially in the areas of Science, Management and Technology, thereby ensuring the development of quality manpower that will utilize technology for the service of the society.
The Vice Chancellor of Enugu State University of Science and Technology is the Chief Executive and Academic officer of the University, ex-officio, chairman of Senate and member of the Governing Council. He is responsible to Council in matters of policy implementation in the areas of finance, property/facilities, general administration and good governance of the institution. The Vice Chancellor is also responsible to. Senate for the admission of students, administration of academic programmes and student discipline in accordance with extant statutes, ordinances and regulations of the University.
The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven manager of human and material resources. Specifically the candidate shall be expected to be:
- a person of unassailable integrity
- a professor of at least SEVEN years standing who understands the contemporary demands of leadership of the University. He/She should have had a wide academic/administrative experience of at least 15 years in the University system and be capable of giving dynamic leadership to this University;
- a successful scholar with Ph.D. in his chosen discipline and well rooted in the finest academic traditions;
- a person with good grasp of information and communication technology skills and appreciates its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry;
- a person of courage, but humane, who can take decisive action on the merit of facts and principles, and not on the basis of sentiments or pressures from individuals and groups,
- possess high reputation nationally and internationally and be able to command the respect of the national and international academic communities through his or her track records;
- be a person of proven integrity and courage and administrative leadership so as to successfully lead a group of well-informed and articulated local academic community;
- Possess ability to create the needed bridges between staff and students on one hand, and between the University community on the other, and be above petty ethnic, religious and local loyalties and biases;
- be able to serve the full term of five years and must be of good physical and mental health;
- Be able to perform any other lawful duties and responsibilities as may from time to time be directed by Council and its Statutory Committees.
Terms and Conditions of Service
- The salaries and conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigeria Universities as determined by the Governing Council of the University from time to time. The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a one-term period of five (5 NOS.) years only. The candidate shall not be more than sixty five (65) years of age at the date of possible assumption of duty as Vice-Chancellor on 17th June, 2015.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit 30 copies of their application forms accompanied by 30 copies of the candidate’s most recent Curriculum Vitae which shall contain the following:
- Full names;
- Date and Place of Birth;
- Contact Address with e-mail address and telephone numbers;
- Marital Status, number and ages of children;
- Academic qualifications (degrees with Classes and copies of credentials to be enclosed);
- Teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience;
- Membership of academic and professional bodies;
- 30 copies of statement of his/her Vision and Mission;
- All candidates must supply in their application forms, names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) referees who should be able to attest to the candidate’s academic and managerial abilities as well as his/her moral character and uprightness. The candidate should request their referees to forward references directly to the Registrar, Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT).
- In the case of nominated or “searched candidate” the CV must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed and dated by the candidate; and
- All applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in a sealed envelope, marked at the upper left hand corner “Post of Vice-Chancellor, ESUT” to the Registrar and Secretary to Council, Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), P.M.B. 01660, Enugu,
Enugu State, Nigeria not later than six (6) weeks from the date of this publication.
- All applications not received by 3.00 p.m. on the last day shall be declared void.
Barr. Chris C.lgbokwe
Registrar and Secretary To Council
Closing Date: 16/04/2015