The position of the Vice-Chancellor of the University will become vacant in October 2015. In keeping with the Ajayi Crowther University Law of 2003 (Miscellaneous and General Provisions) No. 24 (3) the Governing Council wishes to initiate the process of filling the vacancy. Interested candidates are required to note the following information about the University.
Ajayi Crowther University was founded by Province I of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) and was licensed by the Federal Government of the Republic of Nigeria to operate as a Private
University on 7th January 2005. The University is located along Oyo/Ogbomoso Road at the old site of St. Andrew College, Oyo. It has an additional land area of 109 hectares also along Oyo/Ogbomoso Road, about 2 kilometers from the present Campus, bringing the total land holding of the University to 146.02 hectares.
There are 4 faculties in the University namely:
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Social & Management Sciences
Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Law.
The vision of the University is to be a top-class institution in the pursuit of knowledge and scholarship through teaching, learning, research and exemplary service to humanity and the mission is to:
- provide admission to students and employment to staff without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, disability, religious and political persuasions;
- produce graduates who are imbued with the fear of God and a sense of service to humanity and who are endowed with a well rounded education to enable them operate successfully in the Nigerian environment, both as private entrepreneurs and top flight workers in the private and public sectors of the nation’s economy; and
- provide a living and learning environment which is influenced by Christian ethics and principles.
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive, Academic and ‘Financial Officer of the University. He is Chairman of Senate and many Statutory bodies. He serves as the link. between the Governing Council and the University Community and has the overall responsibility for the achievement of the goals and objectives of the University.
The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor must have – a good University education up to a Ph.D. Degree and also be a proven successful manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the
candidate shall be expected to:
- be a highly distinguished academic of the rank of a Professor who can provide academic and administrative leadership in a young University and must have been an academic in a University for at least fifteen years, not less than ten of which must be as Professor:
- be a scholar who is firmly-rooted in the finest academic tradition;
- have a clear vision for the development and growth of the’ University; .
- be able to command the respect of national and international academic communities through his/her track record;
- possess the ability to sustain harmony in the University Community and between the University and the host Community;
- have initiative for sustaining the accelerated pace of development of the University even under financial and other challenging constraints;
- having a good grasp of information and communication technology
- skills and appreciate its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry;
- be able to attract research grants and complementary funds from local and international agencies, and further uplift the academic status of the University;
- be able to relate efficiently with Government, Non-governmental Organisations, the alumni, and foster linkages with institutions within and outside Nigeria;
- be a person of probity and integrity;
- be someone who appreciates, respects and promotes merit without fear or favour even while under pressure; and
- enjoy certified sound physical and mental health.
Terms and Conditions of Service
The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment. The remuneration and other conditions of service shall be as obtainable in the Federal Universities.
Method of Application
Each application should be made in 30 copies and be accompanied by 30 copies of the candidate’s Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated. The Curriculum Vitae is to be in the following format:
- Full Name
- Place and Date of Birth
- State of Origin
- Current Mailing Address
- Permanent Mailing Address
- e-mail Address
- Telephone Number(s)
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Institutions attended with Dates
- Academic Qualifications
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial Experience
- Academic Awards and Distinctions
- Membership of Academic and Professional Bodies
- Date of Delivery of Inaugural! University Lecture and Title
- Major Scholarly Publications or Breakthrough
- Names and Addresses of Three Referees
(Each Referee should be contacted by the applicant to forward direct to the Registrar, a confidential report on the candidates in a properly sealed envelope marked Post of Vice-Chancellor: Referee’s Report at the top left hand corner of the envelope.
Each application must be accompanied by 30 copies of statement of the candidate’s plan for the actualization of the University’s vision and mission.
All applications are to be submitted under confidential cover and addressed to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council
Ajayi Crowther University
The sealed envelope containing the applications are to be marked Post of Vice-Chancellor at the top left hand corner and forwarded to reach the Registrar within six (6) weeks of this advertisement
Dr. Mrs. Josephine Oyebanji
Registrar & Secretary to Council
Closing Date: 28/04/2015